What we'll do
Have fun kayaking in Byron Bay with the chance to see dolphins and turtles!
This guided kayaking tour is the perfect Byron Bay experience. Join a passionate team of local surf lifesavers for an unforgettable kayak to Australia’s most easterly point. This area is home to wild bottlenose dolphins, humpback whales and three species of sea turtle, so keep your eyes peeled for them as you glide along the clear blue ocean. Imagine seeing happy wild dolphins in their own habitat. All interactions are non-intrusive and don’t disturb these beautiful sea creatures. And if you don't see any wildlife, you can come back and join another day for free!
Go Sea Kayak's knowledgeable guides will share stories of the area's history, Aboriginal culture and marine biology, making this tour the perfect combination of education, adventure and most importantly heaps of fun. You'll get a great workout and at the end, your guide will teach you how to surf your kayak back to shore!
Sea kayaking with dolphins is a must-do activity in Byron - do it with the best and secure your spot now!
What to know
Tour days: Twice a day, every day (9:30 am and 2:00 pm)
- 3 hour guided activity (2.5 hours kayaking)
- Expert kayak instructors
- All kayaking and safety equipment
- Wetsuit (in colder months)
- Wildlife spotting (90% chance of dolphins or turtles)
- Wildlife guarantee (return for free)
- Snacks and drinks
Language: Tour is given in easy to understand English.
Perfect for: Solo travellers, couples or small groups. You'll be in a fun and friendly group consisting mostly of young travellers.
Group size: Up to 32 people but with multiple instructors in each group.
Age range: All ages are welcome - provided you can kayak for up to 2.5 hours and swim!
Open Date bookings: must be confirmed at least 3 days in advance.
About your guides
- Go Sea Kayak is a Byron Bay-based, Australian owned-and-operated small tour company. Go Sea Kayak is owned by Byron local Kurt Tutt, a champion surf lifesaver, a qualified P.E teacher and a kayak guide. Kurt probably spends more time on the water than on land!
- Go Sea Kayak's guides include Dougie "The Dolphin Whisperer" and Emma. All of the company's guides are professional, well trained and highly experienced. Go Sea Kayak is one of only two licensed kayak tour companies in Byron Bay and the top-rated company across all travel review platforms.
Frequently asked questions
What should I bring? Comfortable light clothing that can get wet or swimwear (we recommend wearing it before the tour), towel, change of clothes for afterwards, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses and a water bottle. All valuables can be safely stored at the trailer.
Where do we start and finish? Tours start and finish at the Go Sea Kayak trailer opposite 56 Lawson St, Byron Bay. Pick-up is also available from your accommodation, please message us when booking with your accommodation details.
When do we start and finish? Tours start every day at 9:30 am and 2:00 pm. Please arrive at least 20 minutes before the tour start time for check-in. Tours finish at 12:30 pm and 5:30 pm respectively.
What days does the tour operate? Tours operate every day, with morning and afternoon sessions.
Who can come? All guests must be able to kayak for up to 2.5 hours and comfortable with swimming in open water. No experience is necessary!
How fit do you have to be? Kayaking can be a strenuous activity, so we recommend this activity only for people who are confident that they can kayak for up to 2.5 hours and are comfortable swimming in open water. All kayaks are double kayaks, so you will share the workout with one other person.
Will we see dolphins? We can't guarantee that you'll see dolphins as they are wild animals, but your guides will do their absolute best to find some for you. Wild dolphins and other marine life are seen on approximately 90% of tours. If you don't see a dolphin, turtle or whale, then you can receive a voucher at the end of the tour to come back a second time for free.
When is whale season? Whale migration season is from June to November, and whales are often sighted off the coast of Byron Bay during this time.
- Cancellations made 24 hours or more before the activity starts will receive a full refund.
- No cancellations can be made within 24 hours of the activity.
- These tours are dependent on the weather, so sometimes the operator may have to postpone or cancel a tour. If your trip is cancelled for any reason by the operator, we will refund you 100% of your payment.